I am curious as to what the symptoms are? Is it more common in outside dogs than indoor dogs? What can be don’t to correct the problem? Mychocolate lab has tiny insect-bite-like marks on her ear flaps that are crusty and she has lost some hair and has thinning hair on her belly and chest. Thanks!
Sarcoptic mange, commonly known as canine scabies, is caused by the parasite Sarcoptes scabiei. These microscopic mites can invade the skin of healthy dogs or puppies and create a variety of skin problems, the most common of which is hair loss and severe itching. While they will infect other animals and even humans, they prefer to live their short lives on dogs. Fortunately, there are several good treatments for this mange and the disease can be easily controlled
The symptoms are varied, but usually include hair loss and severe itching especially on the elbows, ears, armpits, hocks, chest, and ventral abdomen (belly). The mites prefer to live on areas of the skin that have less hair. As the infection worsens it can spread over the entire body. Small red pustules often develop along with yellow crusts on the skin. Because of the severe itching and resultant scratching, the skin soon becomes traumatized and a variety of sores and infections can develop as a result. The itching seems to be much worse in warm conditions such as indoors or near a stove or heat vent. If the infection goes untreated or is mistakenly treated as an allergy, the skin may darken due to the constant irritation, and the surrounding lymph nodes may become enlarged.
Sarcoptic mange is a somewhat common infection and many cases have often been misdiagnosed as severe atopy (inhalant allergy). Any time we see a dog who does not have a prior history of allergies and develops severe itching, or if the itching is not seasonal but year-round, we have to suspect sarcoptic mange.
The intense itching caused by the sarcoptic mite is actually thought to be caused from a severe allergic reaction to the mite. When dogs are initially infected with Sarcoptes they do not develop itching for several weeks. If the animals are treated and then reinfected at a later time, severe itching starts almost immediately, which indicates the itching may be due to an allergic reaction. However, the standard treatments for allergies generally will not decrease the symptoms of scabies, and will do nothing to cure the disease.
Learn more about Symptoms of Mange and different types, here.
Mange is a rather common disease in household pets.
Dogs are primarily susceptible to two forms of mange, Demodectic mange (red mange) and Sarcoptic mange. Demodectic mange is generally seen in dogs less than two years of age. These mange mites are passed to puppy’s skin from their mothers. Demodectic mange mites live in the hair and oil (sebaceous) follicles of the skin. The first signs of this disease are patchy areas of hair loss about the head and forelegs, which do not itch and do not appear inflamed. These areas may spontaneously resolve or become larger until a large area of the pet’s skin is involved. It is considerably rarer in cats. A few of these parasites are present in the skin of many or all normal dogs. However dogs which develop disease have a defect in their immune system (T-cell defect) and can not keep the number of mites under control. The only product approved for use on Demodectic mange in the United States is amitraz (Mitaban). This concentrated liquid is diluted to a dip and the entire animal is immersed and scrubbed in the solution every two weeks until no living parasites can be seen under a microscope. A compound named benzyl benzoate cream was once used to treat small areas of infection. It is no longer believed to be effective. I will sometimes mix a 10% solution of Amitraz in propylene glycol and have the owner first cleanse and then massage this solution into isolated lesions. I have had good success in curing small areas of Demodectic mange in this way. The effectiveness of treatment is hard to evaluate because small lesions often go away by themselves. Shar Pei dogs are notorious for their susceptibility to Demodectic mange. When amitraz (Mitaban) dips fail to halt the infection, I have had good success in placing these dogs on daily oral ivermectin. This product is sold as Ivomec 1% and the dose I use is 1ml (cc or approximately 15-20 drops) per110 lbs body weight. This comes out to 200 mcg/kg of body weight. Ivermectin may take up to a year to completely cure the dog. In severe cases, secondary bacterial skin infection is severe and subcutaneous lymph nodes enlarge with mites present in these nodes.
The second common form of mange in dogs, other pets (and wild animals) is Sarcoptic mange. This microscopic spider-like mite burrows through the layers of the skin causing an intense itch and streaks of reddened skin. After a month or so the skin becomes very crusty. It is spread from one mature dog to another by contact or by contact with objects the infected dog has touched. Humans in contact with these pets will often begin to itch too. This disease in man was once called the seven year itch. It is the disease that back-woods folk and farmers used to cure by rubbing the dog with burnt motor oil. Do not attempt this! The gentlest way of curing this disease (but the smelliest way) in all species of animals is with lime sulfur dips. Oral or injectable ivermectin cures the disease very well too. However, Ivermectin can be toxic in cats. Besides dogs, I see this disease in cats, hedgehog’s raccoons and squirrels.
A third form of mange, psoroptic mange, I see most often in rabbit ears and the area surrounding the ears. All ear-mite medicines cure this disease but the ears often need a soothing antibiotic corticosteroids cream for a week or two to heal.
A form of mange that I see in budgerigars (parakeets) and canaries is knemidocoptic mange. It affects their legs, the base of the beak and their vents. The skin in these areas is thickened and flaky. It responds very well to ivermectin or oily topical products containing rotenone (derris root & cube resin) such as Goodwinol. Goodwinol is difficult to obtain these days, but the active ingredient, rotenone, can be purchased as an organic rose and vegetable insecticide and mixed with margarine.
The reason most mange can be treated with any non-toxic oily product is that mange mites, being arachnids, breathe through openings (sphericals) along their body. Any substance which plugs up these pores kills the mites. The exception is Demodectic mites which live so deeply within hair follicles that oily substances do not seem to affect them.
Mange is a type of skin illness which is typically found in a lot of mammals and thus we need to learn about mange cure. Normally it really is the result of a mite who burrows beneath the skin. Generally mange is present inside the pets, frequently cats and dogs. Varieties of mange mites are there but only few of which have an effect on pets. We cannot view the mange mites using our bare eyes but the outcomes of their burrowing are quite remarkable. Some sorts of it look like dandruff however it is of short life.
Diverse types of mange -
A. Notoedric mange – It really is a scaly illness on the skin which usually commences in the ears and then propagate to the rest of the face and the whole body until dealt with. This kind of mange is a lot more well-known among felines, dogs, people and bunnies.
B. Sarcoptic mange – It’s related with the very scratchy skin disease which is occasionally known as canine scabies. This mange is generally common in pets. It typically hits the region without having the hair like abdomen as well as arms. This disease may disperse among felines as well as human beings.
C. Demodectic mange – Typically this kind of mange mites affects the hair follicles. It really is extremely itchy. It is quite hard to cure as it can spread to the whole body but early treatment gives success in lowering the dilemma.
Reasonably early remedy for mange in pets eliminates the dilemma to an excellent extent. Though you can find plenty of medicines, injections, shampoos which can be medicated however, many home treatments are also quite efficient in the treatments for mange. When the issue is serious then shaving might also be needed or to minimize the likelihood of transmitting the pet could be isolated.
A number of the essential house remedies -
A. It is possible to also treat mange by brushing out the hair frequently. It assists to remove skin and scabs. It is an powerful remedy for dealing with mange.
B. To treat the problem inside the ears which has been plagued with manage, decide on an ordinary yoghurt which contains acidophilus. For this reason you must take two tablespoons of yogurt.
C. To take care of the signs of mange add one tablespoon of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar towards the meal of your pet. It is also extremely effective in decreasing the issue of mange.
D. For dealing with mange in dogs among of the most beneficial residence mange cure is to make a solution of 1% hydrogen peroxide containing water and borax. After dissolving the ingredients effectively wash your pet using this answer a minimum of as soon as in a few days.